Regenerate derivatives task does not seem to be working
|Target version:||Release 2.4.0|
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:||2.4|
I've noticed some issues with this in 2.4, and today was trying to load the demo data into my VM.
After moving all the digital objects into the uploads directory, I ran the digitalobject:regen-derivatives task, cleared my cache, restarted services, and repopulated the search index. When logging into the site however, no thumbnails or reference images show up (showing generic icons instead). Clicking on one reveals the master digital object (whether locally or a linked external master), but I've re-run the task several times and can't get derivs to show up in AtoM. Logged in as an admin so I don't think it's a permissions issue.
#1 Updated by Sara Allain almost 6 years ago
I was also able to reproduce this, with a more conventional workflow:
1. Added a digital object to an item through the UI (tested both a link and an import)
2. Confirmed that the master, reference, and thumbnail were created and visible
3. Ran regen-derivatives task
4. Image replaced by generic placeholder
As with Dan's test, clicking on the placeholder graphic allowed me to view the master image.
#8 Updated by Dan Gillean over 5 years ago
- Status changed from QA/Review to Feedback
- Assignee changed from Dan Gillean to David Juhasz
I think this is fixed, but I can't totally verify until I know if #10758 is fixed too.
Right now only external thumbnails AND internal ones for video don't seem to be generating. Otherwise, working well.
Working with the demo data locally - none of the video files there got thumbs and they are local uploads. Otherwise, the outstanding issues are covered by #10758.
#10 Updated by David Juhasz over 5 years ago
Dan, did you use the type="thumbnail" flag when running the digital object regen task? From the code it looks like the video derivatives will only be generated when the usageId is MASTER_ID or EXTERNAL_URI_ID (ref: https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/a6e42164d3b8d4bf3dd0cdb131be4f4277be7478/lib/model/QubitDigitalObject.php#L2043)
#13 Updated by David Juhasz over 5 years ago
There are two steps to the script, first it deletes the existing thumbnails, then in generates new thumbnails. The delete works fine, the generate is broken. :( This is true of type="reference" with video files as well.
It's a pretty easy fix to get the reference and thumbnail regeneration fix working for videos, I'll make a new PR.
#17 Updated by David Juhasz over 5 years ago
- Status changed from Feedback to QA/Review
- Assignee changed from David Juhasz to Dan Gillean
A note: when I was testing I wasn't getting any thubmnails generated because I was using videos that were shorter than 30 seconds. It looks like the code currently use a frame from 30s into the video for the thumbnail and just fails if the video is shorter than 30 seconds. :(
#19 Updated by David Juhasz over 5 years ago
Yes, it's hard-coded to a 30 second offset - I was surprised as well. I would be in favour of lowering the value to 5 or 10 seconds. The decision to use 30s was probably based on a client request though, so we should take that into consideration. We could also consider setting a default and having a configuration setting (i.e. in the config files, not UI) to override the default. I would also love to add a check for the total video length to avoid getting a blank thumbnail if the offset is higher than the play time, but adding that functionality would depend on how much time we have available to work on improvements.
#21 Updated by Dan Gillean over 5 years ago
- Status changed from QA/Review to Verified
- Assignee deleted (
Sounds like the last comments on here are wish list items for the future. Considering this work to be verified for now. I've added a wish-list ticket to capture the ideas mentioned above - see #10850