Add the ability to upload a single digital object to an authority record and supplement search/browse result stubs for authority records with thumbnails and history snippets
|Category:||Actor||Estimated time:||84.00 hours|
|Target version:||Release 2.5.0|
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:|
This new feature for authority records will allow an authenticated (i.e. logged in) user with sufficient permissions to attach a single digital object to an authority record.
The functionality will be modeled on the "Link digital object" functionality currently available in AtoM for linking a single digital object to an archival description. In many cases the digital object will be a digital image of the person, place or institution described by the authority record, but other digital objects such as a map or video could also be attached.
One change that we will be introducing (currently ONLY for digital object uploads to authority records; this ticket does not cover adding this enhancement to the description digital object upload at this time) is the ability to add user-defined alt-text, for better screen reader support or in cases where the internet connection cannot load the object.
Finally, we will also be enhancing the authority record search/browse result stubs to include:
- A digital object thumbnail, when one is available
- The first few lines of the related actor's history, similar to how scope and content snippets are displayed on description search/browse results
- As an archivist I would like to upload a digital object from my computer and attach it to an authority record so I can provide non-textual information about the entity described.
- As an archivist I would like to provide a URL to link a digital object accessible from the world wide web to an authority record so I can link to external web resources that provide additional information about the entity described.
- As an archivist I would like to add alternative text (“alt text”) describing an authority record image so a screen reader or other assistive technology can provide a textual or audio description of the digital object.
- As an archivist I would like to delete an authority record digital object so I can remove or replace the digital object.
- As an unauthenticated user* when viewing an authority record I would like see a digital image representing an attached digital object, when the digital object can be represented visually (e.g. a digital image, page of a PDF, a still frame of a video)
- As an unauthenticated user* when viewing an authority record I would like to access the alternative text of the visual representation of an attached digital object via assistive technology so I can understand the visual content or purpose.
- As an unauthenticated user* when viewing an authority record I would like to play, in my browser, a video or audio file when one is linked to the authority record.
- As an unauthenticated user* when browsing or searching for authority records I would like to see thumbnail images for those authority records with related digital objects that can be represented visually (e.g. a digital image, a page of a PDF document, a still frame of a video file).
- As an unauthenticated user* when browsing or searching for authority records I would like to access the alternative text for those authority records with related digital objects via assistive technology.
- As an unauthenticated user* when browsing or searching for authority records, I would like to the first few lines of the the authority record’s history to be included in the results, to help me better distinguish between two entities with similar names and provide more context within the result list.
(*) The role of “unauthenticated user” is specific to authentication by the AtoM software access control system, and refers to users who are not logged into the application - aka public users.Feature 2 - Limitations
- Only one digital object at a time may be attached to an authority record to avoid the complexity of managing multiple linked files.
- The thumbnail image will be automatically generated by the software. A manually created thumbnail can not be substituted via the user interface.
- The ability to edit alternative text for a digital object will be limited to the authority record digital object feature; this feature does not include scope to add alternative text to other digital objects managed by AtoM (e.g. archival description digital objects, archival institution logos).
- The media player used for this feature be the same Flash player currently used for archival descriptions and will only work with browser that support Adobe Flash. Switching to another media player would require additional scope and budget.
#9 Updated by Steve Breker 3 months ago
- Status changed from Feedback to QA/Review
- Assignee changed from Steve Breker to Dan Gillean
This is now merged to qa/2.5.x.
Authority record digital obj linking, refs #12650
Allow authority records to link a single digital object. This
functionality matches the current "Link Digital Object" functionality
currently available for descriptions. This feature includes the ability
to set the alt text for the digital object - the alt text field can be
set on the digital object edit page.
Access control behaves differently from information objects. There are
no PREMIS rules for authorities. Access to these digital objects is
controlled via the existing authority record ACL controls. Editing the
digital object requires authority update permissions etc.
- Must have read privileges to view
- PDF master is always accessible to view as with Descriptions
- Create permission is needed to create an actor
- Update privileges are needed to add or update an actor linked digital object as this is technically updating the actor
- Delete privileges are needed to delete
#13 Updated by Corinne Rogers about 1 month ago
- File edit-do-1.png added
- File edit-do-2.png added
- File upload-do.png added
- Status changed from Verified to In progress
- Assignee changed from Corinne Rogers to Steve Breker
I have just noticed that when a digital object is uploaded to or deleted from an authority record, the upload or delete screen identifies the related authority record as "Untitled". The name of the authority record is present on the "edit digital object" screen.
Expected behaviour: name of authority record appears on upload digital object or delete digital object screens. (This is the case for archival descriptions as well.)