Add the ability to add multiple identifiers to accessions, with type and note values
|Target version:||Release 2.6.0|
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:|
This new feature will expand the available fields in the accession record template, in line with the new Canadian Archival Accession Information Standard (CAAIS) recommendations, found in element 1.2
Per CAAIS 1.2, Identifiers will be a repeatable element with 3 distinct sub-elements:
- Identifier type: controlled vocabulary term
- Identifier value: alphanumeric free-text
- Identifier note: free text for contextual or explanatory labels, e.g. Temporary receipt number; Legacy identifier; Registration number; etc.
The standard specifies that at least one identifier is mandatory; others can be recorded optionally as needed. In previous versions of AtoM, the accession number is already a mandatory element that must be unique. This accession number is also used when linking an accession to an accrual, a deaccession record, a donor, and/or an information object.
To maintain AtoM's current functionality (which matches the CAAIS mandatory requirement), and make it easier to manage upgrading user data, we will therefore leave the current Accession number field as it is, and add 3 new fields to accommodate the optional additional identifier elements. These additional identifiers will be added to the search index for accession records, but they will not be displayed on linked entities - the mandatory accession number will continue to be used for this.
A new taxonomy, to store accession identifier types, will also be added as part of the development work.
#1 Updated by Dan Gillean 19 days ago
- Subject changed from Accession number alias support to Add the ability to add multiple identifiers to accessions, with type and note values
- Description updated (diff)
- Assignee set to Mike Cantelon
- Target version set to Release 2.6.0
- Sponsored changed from No to Yes
- Requires documentation set to Yes