Language facet: if unique records count matches count of only other language, language facet should not display
|Category:||Search / Browse|
|Target version:||Release 2.6.0|
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:||2.5, 2.6|
Currently in our facet filters, if there is a filter with zero or only one facet, then the whole filter is hidden, since it is not useful to the end user to have nothing to facet against, or a single facet common to all the current results.
With the language facet, this doesn't happen because there is always a separate count of "Unique records," in addition to the current language of the available records (e.g. English) - so there are at least 2 facets always present in this facet filter, even in a monolingual site with all other cultures removed (via Admin > Settings > i18n languages) and the language menu hidden.
Some users have reported finding this confusing for their researchers, and they would prefer that the facet does not display unnecessarily. Given that it is not currently displaying useful data for monolingual sites (and given the 0 or 1 hiding behavior of other facets), I consider this a bug.
- Purge your site
- Log in and navigate to Admin > Settings > i18n languages and remove all languages except English
- Import a dataset of English-only records
- Navigate to Browse > Archival descriptions
- The language facet filter displays, even though there is only one culture at use in the site
- When there is only one language in use, and the unique records count matches exactly the count of the language, the Languages facet filter should not display as it provides no useful function to the end user
#3 Updated by Dan Gillean 6 months ago
- Status changed from Code Review to Verified
- Assignee deleted (
José Raddaoui Marín)
Merged into qa/2.6.x in https://github.com/artefactual/atom/commit/c99e941f8b6731da96835b1e96303277c7e011f0