Replace AtoM's Flash based multi-uploader
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:||2.6|
AtoM still uses a Flash based multi-uploader, part of the YUI Library (deprecated since ~2014).
After December 20, 2020, Adobe will no longer be supporting their Flash browser plugins, and most major browsers are planning to deprecate support completely.
AtoM will need to replace the multi-uploader.
- If we don't address this before December 2020, we will lose existing AtoM functionality
- Flash has many well-documented security vulnerabilities; hence its broad deprecation
- Reduces technical debt
- Has the potential to add support for a key user feature request - support for large file uploads via the web browser
- Being able to support large file uploads via the browser will likely reduce the amount of client and community support queries around how to import large digital objects in AtoM
Notes and other information¶
- Uppy.io is a good candidate for consideration. Implemented properly, this could result in support for large file uploads via the web browser
- Jesus is doing some analysis to see if it can be used with Enduro
- Would be good to use same library for all DO and finding aid uploads * Could divide this into separate sprints
- Related estimates worksheet" (not completed yet)
- YUI Library since ~2014)
- M/L: Just replacing Flash component
- M: Updating other DO/FA upload code