Bug #4381

EAC - <resourceRelation> inconsistent support on Import

Added by Jessica Bushey over 9 years ago. Updated about 9 years ago.

Status:VerifiedStart date:07/11/2012
Priority:HighDue date:
Assignee:José Raddaoui Marín% Done:

100%

Category:EAC - Import/Export
Target version:Release 1.4.0
Google Code Legacy ID:atom-2433 Tested version:
Sponsored:No Requires documentation:

Description

To reproduce this error:
1)Create ISAAR authority record with related authority records and related archival descriptions
2)Save and Export EAC
3)Review EAC - fine

Resulting error:
Import EAC.XML - missing data in related authority records and related archival descriptions

Expected result:
Data in Relations area should remain linked to ISAAR record throughout EAC Export and IMport

[g] Legacy categories: Actor, Import/Export

History

#1 Updated by David Juhasz over 9 years ago

  • Target version changed from Release 2.1.0 to Release 1.4.0

#2 Updated by Dan Gillean over 9 years ago

  • Description updated (diff)
  • Assignee changed from David Juhasz to José Raddaoui Marín
  • Sponsored set to No

#3 Updated by Jesús García Crespo over 9 years ago

  • Category set to EAC - Import/Export
  • Priority changed from Medium to High
  • Start date set to 07/11/2012

#4 Updated by Jesús García Crespo over 9 years ago

  • Status changed from New to QA/Review

Radda, I've merged both commits suggested by email but I can't understand your solution. Could you describe what you did? This issue describes a problem with the resourceRelation tag but your commit commit:1c8b96b6 modifies the contents of the cpfRelation tag.

Also, have you seen how in other parts of the file the first <p> tag is passed but not the second? I don't know exactly why we are doing it that way but I just changed your code to be consistent with the rest of cases in the same file.

I'm going to mark as QA/Review, it may be fixed... I'm just being a bit too sceptic :)

#5 Updated by Jessica Bushey over 9 years ago

  • Status changed from QA/Review to Feedback

1. Add new ISAAR/authority record and create a relationship to an existing authority record and a relationship to an existing archival description.
2. Save and Export EAC.
3. View export and confirm relationships with authority record is present and relationship with archival description is present.
3. Delete ISAAR/authority record.
4. Import EAC.
5. Relationship with authority record is present. BUT relationship with archival description is MISSING.

If you want to look at the EAC.xml files to compare the difference, let me know and I can attach them.

#6 Updated by José Raddaoui Marín over 9 years ago

The description talks about the two relations, so I looked both.

Relationships with authority records:

The commit Jesús is talking about, fix the description import/export and sometimes when xlink:href value was linking to itself.

Relationships with archival descriptions:

The issue here is in resourceRelationType value. resourceRelationType says the value must be "creatorOf", "subjectOf" or "other", and AtoM has about ten types.

Right now is exporting all archival descriptions related, but only the ones created by it has value on that attribute, the rest are empty and ignored in the import.

The reference also says if the nature of the relation is more specific than one of the available values, the Xlink attributes may be used.

Should I use xlink:role attribute instead of resourceRelationType for the import/export?

#7 Updated by José Raddaoui Marín over 9 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to QA/Review

#8 Updated by Jessica Bushey over 9 years ago

  • Status changed from QA/Review to Feedback

Radda -

If I add an authority record and create a relationship with an archival description and classify it as "creator of", then the EAC export and import works.
If I add an authority record and create a relationship with an archival description and classify it as "contributor of", then the EAC export is fine, but the import is missing the relationship with the archival description.

So I think you are correct, there is a problem with the resourceRelationType.
I don't know the answer. I guess you could try using xlinkRole...

JB

#9 Updated by Jesús García Crespo over 9 years ago

Discussed it with Peter and Jessica this morning. Yes please, use the @xlink:role attribute if necessary but when doing so make sure that resourceRelationType is "other". During the import, AtoM should look for a match in the taxonomy and create a new type if it doesn't already exist.

#10 Updated by Jesús García Crespo about 9 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to QA/Review
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

Applied in changeset atom|commit:596e3223d52d11666093f9a9e141fe1493a4f605.

#11 Updated by Jessica Bushey about 9 years ago

  • Status changed from QA/Review to Verified

tested as contribution and as creator and both worked.
archival descriptions remain related through export and import.
authority records remain related through export and import.
fixed!

Also available in: Atom PDF