Add filter by fond in the advanced search
|Assignee:||José Raddaoui Marín||% Done:|
|Category:||Search / Browse||Estimated time:||4.00 hours|
|Target version:||Release 2.0.0|
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:|
Suggested by Dan.
#4 Updated by José Raddaoui Marín over 8 years ago
As there is no way to determine which can be the higgest levels of description, it finally has become a filter by top-level descriptions, where you can select any of the archival descriptions descendant of the ROOT description. And the search will realized in all the child descriptions of the one selected in the filter.
#5 Updated by Dan Gillean over 8 years ago
- Status changed from QA/Review to Feedback
This is great; I think the auto-complete is a good implementation as a dropdown would be too massive etc.
One thing: I wonder if we can make it return the top-level results as well? i.e. even if you limit it to Fonds X, and search for the word "chocolate" in any field, if it appears in the body of the fonds-level record for Fonds X, it should still show up in the results. Right now I've noticed that this is not the case - it will return results from any child record, but not from the top level itself.
This will lead to a lot of confusion in ArchivesCanada since so much of the holdings are ONLY top-level descriptions. As such, the results will appear to return nothing. I think that we should return all relevant results, even if it's the same top-level description as the filter. Is this possible?
#8 Updated by Dan Gillean over 8 years ago
- File searchFilter.png added
- Status changed from QA/Review to Feedback
A couple of things:
I couldn't get the functionality you added working. My steps:
1) Create new description "Draft description test number one"
2) Add "jelly bean" to scope and content of new description; save
3) Go to advanced search: filter by Description "Draft description test number one" search "jelly bean" in any field
No results. I wonder if this has more to do with other issues on the Advanced search, maybe something related to #5571? Anyway, I couldn't get the expected behaviour (search results return "Draft description test number one").
I tried logging out, and then looking for "Draft description" in the advanced search filter, and found that I could still find it (though I couldn't get any results). Ideally, we should not be exposing draft records to unauthenticated users in this autocomplete. Is there a way you can check for that?
It would be nice to be able to see the value of the field after the search, instead of losing it - but don't go crazy on it now; we can always file a new ticket for 2.1 to deal with this feature. Otherwise, I wonder if there's a way to reuse the search filter model from the facets when an institutional filter is used in the general search bar? See attached image. Otherwise, yes, if it's going to be hard or take a while to find the best way to implement, let's open a new ticket for the next release.
In the future, I hope to find a way to combine the advanced search and the general search results page, so users can then apply facet filters to the advanced search results. We don't have to think about that now, or on this issue ticket, but it's something to consider for the future.
#9 Updated by José Raddaoui Marín over 8 years ago
- Status changed from Feedback to QA/Review
The first problem you said it's almost fixed, you can search by scope and content now. Only the 'Any field' option it's still work in progress. But I think you can test this without it.
I've also filtered the draft descriptions in the autocomplete and filed a new ticket for the default value problem (#5581).
#10 Updated by Dan Gillean over 8 years ago
- Status changed from QA/Review to Verified
Ok, I have verified that the search WILL return the top-level record, and it WILL hide draft descriptions from unauthenticated users. So I am going to mark this issue as verified.
The problem that remains is this: The Advanced search fields, at least when set to search "Any field", are in fact ONLY searching title and identifier. Any data in any other field does not seem to return a result.
I have confirmed this behavior even when not using any other filters. I have also tested in both Chrome and FF to ensure it's not a browser issue.
Consequently, I am marking this issue verified. We will deal with this problem on another issue ticket, since everything that relates to this issue seems to work now. Thanks!