Search and browse results pages not consistent; options lost in search results page.
|Assignee:||Jesús García Crespo||% Done:|
|Category:||Search / Browse|
|Target version:||Release 2.3.0|
|Google Code Legacy ID:||Tested version:|
1) Navigate to: Browse > Archival descriptions. Examine page elements.
2) Perform a broad search (e.g. for "fonds"). Compare page elements to those of Browse.
3) Perform comparison on different viewports, such as on mobile. Compare.
Useful contextual, navigational, or responsive elements are not available in the search page. Examples include:
- "Filters" toggle to hide/reveal facet filters when searching on mobile
- Customizable (via Admin > Settings) facet filter heading ("Narrow your results by") not available in search
- Sort button (most recent, alphabetic) not available on search (see comment 4 below)
- Levels of description facet filter in a different position in search vs. browse pages
- Media Type facet in browse page reads "Media Types" in search page
- Populated facets default to open in search page; in Browse only Language and Archival institution are not collapsed on page load
- Type of search (e.g. archival description) icon not present in search
We should reuse the same page template as much as possible between search and browse. This would add increased features to search results, and deliver a more unified user experience. If the templates can in fact use IF statements when differences are needed, then it could lead to the need to maintain only 1 template instead of 2 nearly identical ones for searching and browsing.
#2 Updated by Dan Gillean over 8 years ago
- Subject changed from mobile - "filters" toggle not available after search to "Narrow by" facet filter label not available, and "filters" toggle not available on mobile, after search
- Category set to Search / Browse
- Assignee set to Jesús García Crespo
- Target version set to Release 2.1.0
#3 Updated by Tim Hutchinson over 8 years ago
I thought I'd add this here since the more general issue is inconsistencies in the facet block between search and browse.
A couple more differences:
- placement of level of description - near the top for a search, near the end for browse
- "Media Types" for search; "Media Type" for browse
#4 Updated by Dan Gillean over 8 years ago
- Subject changed from "Narrow by" facet filter label not available, and "filters" toggle not available on mobile, after search to Search and browse results pages not consistent; options lost in search results page.
- Description updated (diff)
Changing the topic of this issue (again), as well as its description, to match its evolved subject - I've tried to summarize some of the points in the new description. If we find more, we can continue to track them in the comments.
Tim's original issue description:
When browsing descriptions, etc., the "filters" button to toggle the visibility of the facet block is very useful. However, this (plus the heading "narrow your results by") does not appear after a search.
This occurs in both the Dominion and Archives Canada themes (or at least on the current AC beta; Dominion tested with 2.x)
Another key difference - the search results include the sort filter (sort by: most recent; alphabetic).
In the original alpha version of 2.x, we had the option "relevance" available. This did not make sense in browse mode - but it would be nice if the sort button was maintained on searches, and defaulted to relevance - still giving the user the option to change the sort order of returned results on a search to alphabetic or most recently created/updated.